Here are some facts from the Play Pumps website:
- More than one billion people worldwide do not have access to clean water.
- Water-related diseases are the leading cause of death in the world, taking the lives of 6,000 people a day.
- Every 15 seconds a child dies from a preventable, water-related disease.
- 40 billion hours are lost annually to hauling water, a chore primarily undertaken by women and girls.
How You Can Get Involved
From March 22 through June 29, PlayPumps International hopes to raise funds to provide clean drinking water to 100 communities (250,000 people) in sub-Saharan Africa. If we all do just a little bit, we can make a big difference!
- Watch the Frontline segment for a good overview, and pass it on to your family and friends.
- Visit the Play Pumps website to read testimonials, learn about how the pumps work, and learn about how you can help.
- Use the banner on the side of this page to donate to Play Pumps. The banner will keep track of how much Please Come Flying readers are donating. Let's see if we can really make an impact!
- Get your kids involved! This is a great project for kids to learn about, and to use some of their allowance money to make a difference in the world. Even $5 will add up if we all chip in. A great way to do this is to offer your kids a "match"...if they donate $10, you'll donate $10. That helps kids feel like they're doubling their impact.
- Link to this blog, or to the Frontline segment, or to the Play Pumps website. Spread the word!
Post a Comment