This year, I've been having a *lot* of fun working with the fourth and fifth graders in the Williams-Cone Elementary School Special Chorus. Our task was to create a song that the whole school could sing and enjoy.
Well, are you ready for it? Drumroll....here it is: My School.
The first couple days I visited the school, we had some brainstorming sessions about the things that are important to daily life at Williams-Cone. Of course, recess was huge, and we built our entire bridge around that. But what I thought was nice were the small details that came out. The little things you look forward to, that add up to make your day a really great one.
What did you love about your grade school? Here are a few of the things the kids from Williams-Cone look forward to every day:
- Breathing in the smell of clay and feeling it squish through your fingers
- Seeing your own artwork on the hall walls
- Listening to the principal whistle a song
- Making a "listening flower" (in music class, they all lay down in a circle with their feet touching in the middle and listen very carefully...cool!)
- Knowing the answer to a math question
- Going back to the "kids" section of the library and finding a favorite book from Kindergarten
- Contributing to the unrestrained *noise* in the lunchroom!