Kill A Watt Meters are becoming available at libraries all over the country (you can check them out just like a book...just ask your friendly librarian). You can use them to find the biggest energy hogs in your house.
They're a snap to use:
- Plug the Kill A Watt Meter into the wall
- Plug the appliance you'd like to test into the Kill A Watt Meter
- Let it sit for an hour
Here are some examples:
- My television costs me $12.24 per month when it's OFF. If I plug it into a power strip and flip it off when I'm not using the TV, I could save almost $150 per year. (Or I could just unplug the TV and skip the power strip, but that would mean reaching behind the TV...not an easy task in our house.)
- If I turn my computer off during my lunch hour instead of leaving it on, that's another $80 per year.
- If I run my bedroom air conditioner for one hour less per day, I save $75 per summer.